Thursday, October 20, 2011
CHEESE FONDUE RECIPE
Try this authentic Swiss Cheese Fondue recipe...a must try !
Cheese Fondue Recipe Ingredients
* 1/2 pound Swiss-style cheese such as Jarlsberg or Emmenthaler, shredded
* 1/2 pound Gruyere cheese, shredded
* 2 tablespoons cornstarch
* 1 garlic clove, peeled, halved crosswise
* 1 cup dry white wine
* 1 tablespoon lemon juice
* 1 tablespoon kirsch (cherry brandy)
* 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
* Pinch nutmeg
* Assorted dippers - cubed ham (skip for vegetarian option), blanched broccoli, carrots, or cauliflower, cherry tomatoes, chopped green bell peppers, cubed French bread (skip for wheat-free version), peeled and chopped apples or pears
Cheese Fondue Recipe Instructions
1 Place the shredded cheese and cornstarch in a plastic freezer bag. Seal, shake to coat the cheese with cornstarch. Set aside.
2 Rub the inside of a 4-quart pot with the garlic, then discard. Over medium heat, add the wine and lemon juice and bring to a gentle simmer. Gradually stir the cheese into the wine. Stir constantly in a zig-zag pattern to prevent the cheese from seizing and balling up. Cook until the cheese is just melted and creamy. Do not let boil. Once smooth, stir in kirsch, mustard and nutmeg.
3 Transfer the cheese to a fondue serving pot, set over a flame to keep warm. If your pot is thin-bottomed, a lit candle will probably do. If thick-bottomed, you can use a small Sterno.
4 Arrange an assortment of bite-sized dipping foods on a lazy Susan around fondue pot.
5 Spear dipping foods with fondue forks or wooden skewers. Dip to coat with the cheese, and this great cheese fondue is ready to serve...bon appetit! enjoy it...